Looking for a new EV? Don’t get suckered by the top-of-the-line model - fivenewscrypto
Terkini Populer Kategori
Headline
Loading...

mercredi 21 décembre 2022

Looking for a new EV? Don’t get suckered by the top-of-the-line model

Looking for a new EV? Don’t get suckered by the top-of-the-line model
mercredi 21 décembre 2022
Our Creative Director didn't know that I have a fondness for the Ford Ka and still miss the one I sold before moving to America, but I like that he chose one for this graphic.

Enlarge / Our Creative Director didn't know that I have a fondness for the Ford Ka and still miss the one I sold before moving to America, but I like that he chose one for this graphic. (credit: Aurich Lawson | Getty Images)

As I look back on Ars' automotive year and the new cars, crossovers, SUVs, and trucks that we drove in 2022, I have started coming to a conclusion of sorts. And it's this: Forget the top-of-the-line, fully loaded, superduper electric vehicle; what you want is the least powerful, least expensive variant. And that's true whether you want an EV because you want to drive something that's very efficient or if you're a driving enthusiast who's going electric.

It's a thought I've alluded to more than once this year, and the effect can be seen when you look at a pair of first drives that bookended this year: the Kia EV6 (which starts at $48,500 for the EV6 Wind) and the Kia EV6 GT (a hefty $61,400). The extra $12,900 buys you a much quicker 0–60 time, and a twin-motor, all-wheel drive powertrain with much more power. But the GT uses the same battery as the cheapest rear-wheel drive EV6, and with its bigger wheels it only has a range of 206 miles compared to the RWD EV6 Wind, which can do 310 miles on the same number of kWh.

OK, so score one for the hypermilers. And for the enthusiasts, I have to report that the cheaper car I drove in January was more fun on the back roads. Because it's more fun to drive a slow car quickly than a quick car slowly.

Read 8 remaining paragraphs | Comments


Share with your friends

Add your opinion
Disqus comments

Ads Auto